Legal Services Unit
About Legal Unit
The Legal Office provides advice and support on internal and external legal matters related to the Organization. The Office ensures that the Organization’s activities are carried out according to its Basic Laws and are consistent with its status as a Government institution within the country.
Under the direction of the Legal Counsel at headquarters which based in Arusha, two services in the Legal Office provide legal support. These are the Development Law Service, and the General Legal Affairs Service.
Office of the Legal unit.
Ensures TAEC activities are carried out in accordance with its Act and the TAEC Regulations as well as the Organization’s internal rules. The Legal Unit advises the Director-General on legal matters and TAEC’s governing and statutory bodies. It also ensures TAEC activities are conducted in a manner consistent with its status as a Government Institution. The Legal Unit manages and has overall responsibility for the work of the Legal Office.
Zena Ombeni Head of legal Unit
Samwel M. Kasori Deputy Legal Officer
General Legal Affairs Service
Advises technical units, as well as Governing and Statutory Bodies, on legal and constitutional matters. It provides legal guidance on TAEC’s relations with Members and other organizations, including on agreements covering a wide range of issues such as the privileges and immunities of the Organization, funding and project implementation. It assists the Director-General in discharging depositary functions related to international treaties, provides legal support on administrative matters, and represents TAEC in legal proceedings.
Development Law Service
supports the legal components of TAEC projects to ensure that they are aligned with the Organization’s overall strategic objectives. To this end, the service offers technical guidance on developing sound legal frameworks, well-designed laws and effective institutions. It also provides legislative support to member countries and regional bodies; supports the development of robust international legal tools; promotes in-country capacity building; and ensures legal information and knowledge is widely available.
These are activities of the legal Unit which do include the following:
- To draft, vet, review, negotiate and provide advice on the implementation of all agreements, contracts and other formal arrangements for operational activities of the TAEC with Stakeholders and non-Stakeholders, international organizations and governmental and non-governmental entities;
- To draft, amend and negotiate loan, equity participation, grant and other financing and co-financing agreements with other multilateral and bilateral financial institutions and related arrangements, and advice on the execution and entry into force of such agreements and arrangements, including the review of legal opinions and other legal documents submitted in fulfillment of loan conditions;
- To provide legal services and assistance for negotiating and implementing bilateral and multilateral cooperative arrangements, including the drafting, reviewing and negotiation of agreements, contracts and all related legal documents and instruments.
- To review and provide input on the project appraisal report, draft the resolutions and assist in preparing the project for Board presentation.
- To draft, or review and oversee, the legal documentation, including term sheets, loan agreements, common terms agreements, inter-creditor agreements, security documentation, assignment agreements, shareholder agreements, subscription agreements, information memoranda, as well as other documentation depending on the nature of the project and the type of financing.
- To review all existing project contracts, including development or construction contracts, supplier agreements, concession agreements, joint venture agreements, management agreements, stockholder agreements or other project documentation.
- To provide advisory support in all human resource matters including recruitment, salary reviews, administration of staff benefits, contract negotiations, promotions, litigious issues and performance evaluations;
- To lead the negotiations of the terms of every institutional procurement activity of the TAEC, including leases of real property, procurement of various services necessary for the administration of TAEC, procurement of IT hardware and software and other capital investment activities;
- To assist the Director General in advising on constitutional and Institutional legal issues arising from the interpretation and application of the TAEC‘s Act and other instruments such as the TACE’ s Regulations, , TAEC’ s Staff Regulations and Rules and assist as needed in drafting legal documents;
- To draft and negotiate host agreements for the establishment of field offices, support all activities related to the establishment of these offices and advise on field office-related legal matters.
News and Event for Unit
No Results Found
The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.